Thursday, November 6, 2008

Feelin' the stress yet, Obama?

Can you even begin to imagine the amount of pressure that has just been placed on Barack Obama's shoulders? To be the President is stressful enough, to be the first mixed-race President in the of the United States is worse, to take this world-shattering position in a time of unparalleled economic, social, and environmental distress... well, let's just say he's probably feeling the expectations pretty accutely. I have no doubt that he's up to the challenge. Already, other countries in the world are rejoicing for what they see as a new age for America, democracy, and the planet, simply because of the election of this one man. But, as he readily aknowledges, he has much to learn, and more to do. After an exhausting, extensive campaign, he gets no respite. I wish I could give him a hug!

It is incredible to hear him referred to in the news as "The President Elect" and "Mr. Obama", no longer "Presidential Hopeful" or "Senitor Obama". Every once in a while I will see a picture of him and realize anew: That's our President! Our future looks so bright it hurts. But his personal future has a lot of stress in it, sadly. No wonder John McCain's concession speech was so gracious... he probably is grateful to have lost!

May I just reiterate how excited I am? I'm not sure how to get it across, but it fills me with a kind of hope and security that I have not felt since I was very, very young. I think I'm becoming a strong patriot!

xoxo heN

No comments: